What is "full coverage" and do you need it?

What is "full coverage" and do you need it?

September 18, 2019

In South Carolina and most other states, automobile liability insurance is required by law. Liability coverage takes care of damage to others.

"Full coverage" usually refers to optional coverages over and above what is legally necessary. It is shorthand for insurance that covers not only your liability to others but damage to your car as well. Usually, "full coverage" refers to:

    • This helps pay for repair or replacement of your vehicle if it is damaged in an accident with another car or an object, such as a road sign or a curb. 
    • This helps pay for repair or replacement of your car if it is damaged in an accident that is not a collision or if it is stolen. Comprehensive usually covers damage from vandalism, falling objects (like hail or a tree branch), and fire.

If you have a lease or a loan, the lessor or lienholder likely requires you to carry comp and collision. 

If you own your vehicle, the decision is yours to make. It is helpful to consider the value of the vehicle and the financial consequences of a total loss. If your car vanished into thin air or was wrecked beyond repair, how easy would it be for you to replace? Could you go out tomorrow and buy a replacement? If not, collision and comprehensive coverage may be a good option for you. 

Have more questions about comp and collision? Give us a call today 864-297-5828 or send us an email. Our agents are happy to assist you. 

This content is for informational purposes only and may not be applicable to all situations. Coverage subject to terms, conditions, and availability. Policy issuance is subject to qualifications.